Fundamentals of Design
The first module is an introduction to the fundamentals of design, covering various aspects of the initial design research and process.
– You will be introduced to different elements and principles of design that will be the foundation for your design development.
– You will understand the colour theory and psychological impact of colors that will help to create better visual presentations and designs.
– Understanding Different aspects of Art, Craft and Design and studying the work by different artists and craftsmen.
– Learn to analyze and develop an eye to look at the finer details beginning your design journey.
Welcome To FDI!
How to Use Our Course
What do I Need?
Software and Devices
What is Fashion Design?
What is Fashion Design?
Introduction to Art, Craft, & Design
What is Art?
Forms of Art
What is Craft?
Types of Craft
What is Design?
Categories of Design
Classification of Design
Art, Craft, and Design Process
Elements Of Design
What are the Elements of Design?
Principles Of Design
What are the Principles of Design?
The 9 Major Principles of Design are:
Unity and Harmony
Colour Systems and Colour Mixing
Work Health & Safety Standards
The module helps in understanding the various responsibilities for a safe work environment and applying quality standards.
– Learning about the different practices followed in the industry to maintain the Standards that are applicable to the TCF industry.
– Knowledge about the various risk and safety management procedures.
– Learning about quality assurance and the various aspects of quality control in the fashion industry.
Work Health Safety & Quality Standards
WHS Policies & Procedures
Importance of WHS Policies
WHS Regulatory Framework
WHS: Hierarchy of Control Measures
ILO–Safety and Health in Textile, Clothing and Footwear
Terms and Definitions
Safe Work Environment
Worker Rights & Responsibilities
Health and Safety Representatives (HSRS)
Hazards and Risks
Safety Rules & Instructions
Important Safety Rules & Instructions
Safe Sewing Machine Use
Safe Scissors Use
Safe Needles Use
Safe Spray Guns Use
Safe Iron Use
Safe Delivery And Storage
Personal Protective Equipment
What is Personal Protective Equipment?
What is Apparel Quality?
How do Apparel Standards Work?
The Fashion Industry
In this module, you will learn how the fashion industry, a multibillion-dollar global enterprise devoted to the business of making and selling clothes functions.
– You will learn about the fashion calendar and the important aspects of planning ahead for the fashion seasons.
– You will learn about Legendary fashion designers and world-class fashion houses/ boutiques, museums, exhibitions, and fashion shows.
– Knowledge about the big fashion world out there beyond the fashion capital cities.
– You will learn about terms and terminology associated with the Fashion Industry.
Welcome to the World of Fashion
Introduction to the World of Fashion Design
Brief History on Fashion Design
Divisions of Apparel
High-Street Fashion and the Mass Market
Size and Age Divisions
Baby (Preemie, 0-24 Months)
Little Kid (4-6x)
Big Kid/Tween (7-16)
Misses and Petite
Types of Apparel for Women
Loungewear and Lingerie
Tops and Trousers
Dresses and Skirts
Working a Year Ahead in Fashion
Textiles and Clothing
In this module, you will learn about textile fibers, yarns, and fabric types, characteristics and designing along with labeling & care of fabrics.
– You will get the knowledge of various aspects of the properties & manufacturing process of Fiber to Final Fabric.
– You will learn the textile development process and identification of fabrics that will help you in further developing your collection.
– You will be performing textile tests and analyzing the wide variety of fabrics.
– You will study about the Technical, smart and emerging textiles.
Introduction: What Are Textiles?
Overview: TCF Industry
Differentiating Between Fiber, Yarn & Fabrics
Classification of Fibres
Types of Yarn
Manufacturing Process of Yarn
Features & Characteristics of Fibre, Yarn & Fabric
Trade Names For Fabrics and Textile Materials
Common Fabric Defects
Quality Using Established Quality Indicators
Implications for Handling
Implication for Production
Computing Skills & Software in Textile Industry
Fashion History & Contextual Studies
This Module highlights the fashion trends and contextual studies through the key designers, styles, and periods to trace the evolution of historical fashion in the social, economic, and political contexts from the mid-nineteenth up to the current time.
– You will gain knowledge of major ideas, developments, concepts, and theories in historical and contemporary fashion design.
– You will be able to understand the factors that affect the fashion during a particular period.
– Will help you understand the process of fashion evolution that will become an inspiration to develop contemporary fashion ideas that are relevant to the current times.
Introduction: What is Fashion?
Early Fashion Icons
The Genesis of Couture.
What is the Function of Designers?
The Modern Era
The Fashion Atelier
La Belle Epoque & The Edwardian Era
The Roaring Twenties: The Jazz Age in America
1930s, The Great Depression
1950s: Conservatism Versus Rock and Roll
1960s, Space-age Optimism and the Vietnam War
1970s, Anything Goes. Disco, Glam Rock, Punk Rock, and More
1980-present Day. The Designer Decades and Globalization
Nineties Designer Womenswear
The Designer Decades and Globalization
Current Fashion Icons
2000-present: Legendary Designers Mcqueen and Prada
Current Designers on the Conceptual Edge
Tech Pioneer, Iris Van Herpen
Design Genius and Innovation
The Dominance of Athleisure
Sustainable Fashion and Climate Change
Pop Art Influence
Smart Fabrics: Designing the Future
Fashion Sketching & Illustration
In this module, you will learn the process of fashion illustration and rendering that will play an integral part to develop and communicate your design ideas visually.
– You will learn about the history of fashion illustration, analyse the work by different illustrators and the way they communicate their ideas.
– You will get to know various tools and techniques that are used in the illustration and rendering process.
– You will get the Knowledge and tips to communicate your ideas of components like hairstyles, colouring different skin tones, textile rendering, accessories, and ornamentation through illustrations.
Designer Illustration and Editorial Illustration?
Fashion Illustration as a Career
History of Fashion Illustrations
Tools Used for Fashion Illustration
Introduction To Digital Tools Used for Illustration
Preparing Your Illustrations
Female Fashion Heads
Rendering Figures in Color
Drawing and Rendering Garment Details
Drawing the Female Fashion Figure
Female Fashion Head
Rendering Figures in Colour
Drawing and Rendering Garment Details
Drawing Clothes on the Female Figure
Active and Athleisure Wear
Print, Stripes and Thread Embroidery
Lightweight Fabrics and Transparencies
Fringe & Leather Belt
Rendering Fall Garments
Illustrating Evening Wear
Illustrating Your Collection
Digitally Manipulating Illustrations: Adobe Photoshop Techniques
Research & Sketchbook
This module is a practice-based module that will skill you for basic sewing of garments and understand the different components of the apparel manufacturing process.
– You will learn about the parts, functioning and maintenance of a sewing machine.
– You will learn about different components, parts and finishes that are used in the production of garments.
– It will help you evaluate and understand the quality parameters and standards that are followed in the industry.
– You will develop different samples of sewing and have a hand -on understanding of the complete dress-making process.
The History of Sewing
Machine Orientation and Safety
Appropriate PPE for Sewing
The Importance of Measurements and Sewing
Sewing Quality and Fashion
Materials & Tools in Sewing
Operation of a Sewing Machine
Basic Sewing Elements
Closures & Fasteners
Plackets and Sleeve Openings
Waistbands and Facings Attachment
Sewing Defects & Repairs
Maintenance and Repair of The Sewing Machine
Garment Industry Overview
In this module you will learn about the various pattern making processes, develop patterns & layout that will help you construct to achieve that flawless fitted garment.
– You will learn about unconventional materials and tools that are used in the pattern making process.
– You will understand the terminologies associated with the process, that will help you to communicate with the experts in the field.
– You will be introduced to the process of measuring a human body, several types of dress forms and standard measurement charts.
– You will learn Industry standards and procedures involved in the presentation, recording, and filing finished patterns in the storage system.
Methods of Pattern Making
Principles of Draping
Flat Paper Pattern Making
Elements of Pattern Making
Tools and Terminologies
Measuring Human Body & Dress Form
Standard Measurement Chart
Preparing to Drape
Facing & Lining
Basic Bodice (Drape)
Basic Skirt (Drape)
In this module, you will learn the process of positioning and pinning the fabric on a dress form is called draping, that can be used to create the basic pattern or to design organically by playing with the fabric on the form.
– You will learn about the various tools and materials that will help you drape efficiently and get a desired outcome.
– You will get the knowledge of various steps involved in Pre-Preparation for draping, like taping the dress form, muslin preparation and fabric selection.
– You will also learn about the tips like pinning directions and grainline that will help you achieve quality outcomes.
– The final process in this module will involve creating a dress with various components like darts, seam, marking the garments with labeling.
Importance of Draping
Insight to Drape
Concept of Dress Form
Types of Dress Form
Sizes of Dress Form
Marking and Taping the Dress Form
Preparing the Block for Draping
Muslin Types, Preparation
Marking and Trueing
Preparing to Drape
Transferring Drape to Paper Pattern
Draping Round Necklines
Draping a Cowl
Draping Basic Sleeves
Draping Raglan Sleeve
Draping a Gore Skirt
Draping a Classic Dress with Darts
Draping a Dress
In this module you will learn about the techniques of surface ornamentation, fabric manipulation and indigenous dyeing & printing.
– This will help you understand the transformation of art to modern fabrics ornamentation by various kinds of tools and techniques which come from various parts of the world.
– This module will help you study the various indigenous techniques and cultures that practice the same art in their own unique ways.
– Knowledge of ornamentation and manipulation techniques from around the world that are popular amongst designer and textile industry today for value addition.
– Will provide information on environment safety laws associated with dyeing, printing, and process for creating a design.
Materials & Tools
Indigenous Dyeing Techniques
History of Shibori
Indigenous Printing Techniques
Merchandising & Marketing
In this module you will learn the fundamental skills and acquire knowledge necessary to guide and operate in the real fashion industry in both local and international realities.
– This will help you in learning the basic theories of consumer behavior and psychology by using various research techniques and application of data analysis.
– It will give you knowledge regarding the fashion supply chain that includes the process from design to reaching the consumer.
– You will understand and analyze various promotional and marketing strategies that are commonly used in the TCF industry.
History of Fashion Retail
Evolution of Supply Chains
Evolution of Manufacturing
History of Marketing
Evolution of Marketing
Fashion Marketing Today
Marketing Tools and Techniques
Understanding Macro and Micro Factors
The Marketing Mix
The 4 P's of Marketing Mix
The 4 C's of Marketing Mix
5 Important R's
Impact of Technology
Evolution of Tech Across Fashion
Building a Fashion Collection
This Module is an amalgamation of the topics learnt from the fundamentals of design, skills based and technical subjects that help you in collection development.
– You will learn about the fashion design process from conceptualization, designing, range planning, sample development and launching your collection.
– You will learn to apply creative methodologies to help you organize your collection.
– This will help you to explore and understand the various career opportunities in the world of Fashion.
– It will help you to analyze, compare different periods and styles in design, and describe the garments and accessories that make up a fashionable outfit.
– You will learn to communicate and represent a fashion story.
Research and Analysis
Design Concept Sketch and Develop Ideas
Select Final Sketches
Colour Options and Rendering
Pattern Making and Draping
Sourcing Fabrics, Trims and Laces
Cutting and Sewing
Creating Key Pieces
Variety and Quantity
Presenting Your Collection
Launching Your Collection